|Title/Employer:||Global Urban Humanities Initiative|
Graduate or Undergraduate Student Job
Global Urban Humanities Initiative
10-12 hours / week, $15-18 per hour DOE
Application deadline May 24, 5 p.m.
Exciting opportunity to expand the web and social media presence of an interdisciplinary program linking environmental design fields with the humanities. The Global Urban Humanities Initiative (GloUH) is seeking a creative and experienced website manager and social media coordinator who can also assist on projects with basic video editing and event planning. This position is 10-12 hours per week starting immediately through May 2017, with the opportunity for work continuing in the summer and subsequent semesters. Work location is Wurster Hall, with some flexibility for off-site work and hours.
The web/communication coordinator’s responsibilities will include:
● Web site writing and administration. Maintains and routinely updates the GloUH web site.
● Web design & development: occasionally creates from templates new independent web sites for small projects.
● Social media management: updates and manages GloUH’s accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
● Online newsletter design, writing and distribution.
● Email list management & contact management.
● Graphic design: creates posters, postcards, fliers, signs, and other collateral.
● Editing video and audio for posting on web site
● Help with event planning including registration, venue and catering management
● Other administrative tasks, such as scheduling meetings, as needed
Skills & Experience:
· Excellent writing skills, ideally with experience writing for web and newsletters.
· Web management using content management system such as Expression Engine or Wordpress
● Basic knowledge of HTML
● Good graphic design sense and skills, knowledge of photo management
● Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
● Experience managing external communication using email lists such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, Vertical Response, or similar software suites
● Basic audio and video editing skills desired
● Detail-oriented with good proofreading habits and problem-solving skills
● Takes initiative to improve outreach and has good follow-through
● Good email communications and people skills
● Interest in cities, urban studies, humanities, new media helpful
The Global Urban Humanities Initiative is a joint venture of the UC Berkeley Arts & Humanities Division of the College of Letters & Science, and the College of Environmental Design. The initiative hosts symposia and offers graduate level coursework, including cross-disciplinary theory seminars, collaborative methods workshops, and urban research studios.
To apply for this position, explore our website at globalurbanhumanities.berkeley.edu and. Send cover letter, resume/CV and PDFs or URLs of writing, graphic, and web design/management work to Susan Moffat at firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, writing samples should include 100-300 word newsletter-type blurbs and articles, professional writing (e.g. reports) (not fiction or academic papers). PLEASE PUT “WEB COORDINATOR” IN THE EMAIL SUBJECT LINE. All attachment file names should start with your last name.