If you have questions or issues with class enrollment, please email

  • Berkeley Connect in English is a one unit mentorship and discussion course which aims to foster community in the English Department by offering a space for “serious play”: small group discussions about ideas and texts, explorations of the many riches of the Berkeley campus, visits by department faculty and distinguished alumni, and one-on-one advice on courses and graduate programs from graduate students and professors. For more information, please see the Berkeley Connect in English website.

DeCal Courses in the English Department

Please consult the DeCal website for information and instructions.

Students interested in leading a DeCal course during the 2021-22 academic year should check back here for information during the spring 2021 semester.

  • Students may receive credit for working on projects individually with professors via Independent Study. Once a student has found a faculty sponsor for an independent study, they should complete and submit the Application for Independent Study.  Students will be emailed a class number they will use to enroll in the course on CalCentral. 

    Members of the public may audit classes only through Concurrent Enrollment with the new no-credit option administered by UC Extension, i.e. auditing classes free of charge is no longer possible. Like for-credit enrollment, no-credit enrollment in a course is dependent on seats available and is at the discretion of the instructor. It also requires the approval of the department chair.

    If you are interested in auditing an English Department course, please follow instructions on this page under "Spring 2021 Concurrent Enrollment Instructions."

    For students enrolled in the no-credit option, course grades and a UC Berkeley transcript will not be issued. These enrollees are expected to be “silent auditors,” though they may take part in discussions with the permission of the instructor. They may take exams and write papers, but their work will not be graded. Students who enroll for no credit will receive a marker of "NC" on their official UC Berkeley Extension transcript.