The English Minor

322 Wheeler Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1030
Main Office: (510) 642-3467
Fax: (510) 642-8738

The Minor in English

Minor Declaration Requirements:

Students may declare the English Minor once they have declared a major and completed one upper-division course in the English Department towards their minor.  At that time, students should meet with an English Major Adviser to fill out a Minor Registration Card to be kept on file in the English Department Office.  Undergraduate Advising office hours can be found outside the English Department office and at /undergraduate/advisers.

The deadline to declare your minor is the semester before your expected graduation term. This means the last day of RRR week in fall if you're graduating in the spring and the last day of RRR week in spring if you're graduating in the fall.


1)  Declare the minor (see above.) 

2) In order to complete the English minor, students will take 5 upper-division English Department literature courses for a letter grade.

Several conditions and restrictions apply to the counting of courses to the minor:

From other Departments on Campus:  Students will submit a Petition for Approval of a Course Taken Outside the Department.  The student’s request for course approval will include a course syllabus and a compelling intellectual rationale, one that explains how the student’s work for the English minor will be enriched through the inclusion of the particular outside course the student wishes to include.  There is no pre-approved list of courses. For possible courses outside English, consult the listings for Anthropology, Celtic Studies, Classics, Comparative Literature, Ethnic Studies, History, Linguistics, Philosophy, Rhetoric, Women’s Studies, etc. 

From other Academic Institutions:  Students will print out a course syllabus for each class and a transcript showing the completion of these courses and bring it to an English major adviser for review. 

From Education Abroad Programs:  A Faculty Major Adviser determines credit toward the minor for coursework completed through an Education Abroad Program on a case-by-case basis.  Students must meet with a faculty adviser once they return to UCB and provide documentation (e.g., course descriptions, syllabi, completed exams, papers, and other written work) to demonstrate that the education abroad course is comparable in coverage, rigor, and substance to a UCB upper-division course. Only 1 summer EAP course can count towards the minor. 

3) During the students’ final semester at UC Berkeley, students should fill out the Completion of L&S Minor petition, have it reviewed by their major adviser and turn it in the English Department.  The Completion of L&S Minor petition can be found here: https://ls.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/minor.2019.pdf

English majors may not complete a minor in the English Department.